Welcome!!

Allergens Included:
Gluten/Wheat, Lactose, Milk, Egg and Yeast

Please keep in mind that my "Allergy-Free" recipes are geared toward these food allergies only and to the best of my knowledge, do not contain these allergens.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Step One

I was recently diagnosed with food allergies to baker’s yeast, brewer’s yeast, gluten/wheat, cow’s milk, goat’s milk, cheese, yogurt, egg and kidney beans.  If you have just found out that you have one or more of these allergies, I can relate to how you are feeling.  

First off, don’t panic.  Go buy the biggest steak you can find, grill it up and feast.  Never look up information on your allergies while hungry.  This can be dangerous to your mental health.  Secondly, Relax!!  You can still eat.
Obviously, a nutritionist is your best option; but who has money for that?   I'm a big fan of Google but even that can be overwhelming at first.  I tried that for hours along with crying my eyes out.  So following a nutritionist's advise,I bought the book called "Food Allergy Survival Guide." 
It saved dinner. 
There are so many books on food allergies, it's insane; so do me a favor and just buy one book:














It's not overpriced and it is PACKED with everything.  It is not just for the allergies that I personally have.  It includes dairy, eggs, fish, gluten, peanuts, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, wheat, yeast and more.  It even has which allergen could be causing which reaction.  If you have multiple allergies like me and eat something on accident, it really helps to know the side effects of each irritant.  It also helps you learn how to read labels.  There are so many different names for gluten, dairy, yeast etc.  

When starting out, stay on the outside boundaries of the grocery store.  If you go down an isle when you are just learning what you can and cannot have, you might just pull your hair out.  Or if you are a guy, there may be a fist sized hole in the barbecue sauce section.  You can have meat, fresh vegetables and fruit. I know how that sounds: Bad.  I grew up on meat, potatoes and "If you eat your three carrots, here is your Little Debbie cake." Just stick with it until you learn about all the other awesome stuff you can have

JUNK FOOD:  If you are addicted to chocolate like I am, then this brand of foods will keep you sane:  www.enjoylifefoods.com
  
Here are some links of companies that are Allergy-Friendly:


That should give you a good start.  More to come.